8/3/10

Lovefest Weekend Recap

(via)

After a rather terrifying wedding-related nightmare last week, followed by high levels of anxiety for the rest of the day, I managed to have one of the loveliest weekends with Marrvelous in a long time. It was the kind of weekend that helps to remind us crazy kids why we are doing this in the first place!

In addition to what feels like entering crunch time of wedding planning, Marrv works some pretty crazy hours. Not only does he work Saturdays (as a golf pro, I'm just happy he has Sundays off), but he doesn't get home until close to 9pm on most nights. And then throw in that he's had juniors' camp added on top of his normal set of client lessons over the past few weeks - well, he's been a bit of a grump working on limited sleep. Pretty sure this weekend was what we both needed.

It started Saturday afternoon when after dropping off my dress at my aunt's house (and trying it on and twirling in it and walking around like it's totally normal to wear your wedding dress 5 months before the wedding in a house all by yourself) I picked Mr. M up from work. We quickly found ourselves settled up at the bar at one of my favorite beer bars in the 'burbs - Teresa's Next Door. The bartender was super helpful (super helpful in providing several free tastes of many beers - just how I like my bartenders!). We enjoyed a healthy share of Great Lakes Erie Monsters. (seriously peeps, try Great Lakes' beers...they're so good. And we would love to make a road trip soon to visit their brewery and drag some fun people with us!)

And it's a good thing we did because we paid up our tab and ran around the corner to catch an early show of Dinner for Schmucks with Steve Carrell, Paul Rudd and Zach Galifianakis. The beers probably helped to make the first 15 minutes funny. Then the buzz wore off and we still had to watch it. I knew with a cast like that it would either be horrible or hilarious. It was horrible. The "funny" lines were so obvious, and you knew they thought the audiences would just bust out laughing, and yet our theater stayed quiet. The entire movie. Not good.

Our date night dinner in the 'burbs more than made up for it tho. While cleaning out drawers a few months ago, we came across a restaurant gift card that Marrv received from an old job and hadn't used yet. SCORE! 100 Free Golden Dollars to a pretty swank establishment. Cha-ching! Our car (I should say our borrowed car. We don't even own a car) was most certainly the oldest and most un-Mercedes like in the parking lot. But we enjoyed our filet and martinis (or rather my martinis) with the best of them.

Sunday just continued the lovefest with an early morning game of tennis. Though I'm not sure you can really call it a game when it was only the 3rd time I've held a racquet and when I try to hit the ball with a backhand I end up doing a 360 degree full body swing around. This is even hard for me to admit - Marrv and I are so competitive and this is probably the one "sport" where we are so miserably mismatched (ok, well except for him being a golf pro and me playing lacrosse at a DI College). But actually I think that's what made it so fun. Marrv is a really fantastic coach, and he still had fun, didn't get frustrated with me and instead was able to laugh at my flying leaps, my horrible depth perception and miscalculations of timing Honestly, I think I should videotape our next outing. I'd be a youtube sensation. I'd go viral like Double Rainbows guy.

Anyway. After I wore both Marrv and myself out running all over the court, we met friends for Sunday brunch. My favorite meal of the week. And I'm happy to say that after this outing, we now have a brunch reception locale for the wedding in December! We've been trying places out over the past few weeks and had been saving this one sort of as the "hopefully all the other places will fall to the wayside after we eat here". And they did! I'll post on that later - I want to finalize details with the owners who I emailed last night to relay the good news. (I mean, who wouldn't want to host our brunch reception?!)

So once they write back with how giddy they are to sign the contract with us, I'll be sharing that news too! Yippee.

9 comments:

  1. FECK YEA! Warm and fuzzy and lovely and martinis and tennis and Sunday Brunch!

    And you have your venue! Hooray! Hooray! Actually, this deserves a HUZZAH! Only the geekiest kind of cheer is suitable for the greatest of weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you had a wonderful weekend. With busy lives it's so important to reconnect and remember what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. disappointing movie, but with a weekend like that who really cares! sounds like it was awesome. I've never played tennis before, but based entirely on how bad I am at Wii tennis I can't imagine it would be a pretty sight....

    brunch sounds amazing right about now! breakfast for dinner, hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. FABULOUS sounding weekend.

    i've heard no good about "shmucks." sigh.

    and josh is on one of those schedules, too. 11pm dinner is the usual around my house any more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think every time i post on your blog, my comment gets eaten.

    i forget what i said. but it was witty and insightful, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ladies - we had another delightful one this past weekend too. This month has just been freaking crazy busy with work, mini weekend trips (headed this weekend to Chicago for girls' trip) and trying to catch up with people. So the blog has been slacking but thank you all for lovely lovely comments. And I've still been stalking all of you and leaving comments ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That picture just made me tear up. It's that kind of day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sound like me trying to play tennis. My hubs was a pro athlete and so if, of course, good at ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that has to do with sports. Jerk. HA! Our next morning brunch was one of my favorite parts of our wedding!

    ReplyDelete